Skip to main content

Everybody knows this is Nowhere

Dear reader,

Count yourself amongst the fortunate if this post finds you well. Covid is sweeping through the country so effectively, I wish 'development' would take inspiration from it. Few seem to know whether we're in the throes of the Delta or Omicron variant and fewer care. I used to think the statement "we're all going to get it" was dripping in glibness. Now, it sounds prophetic, although the former suggests I'm not as cynical (realistic?) as I believed. Family, friends and a motley crew of others were infected and thankfully, recovered or are in the process of doing so. Yet, I struggle to understand how the situation will evolve towards an endgame. The WHO, which I don't find too credible, continues to prognosticate on new variants and vaccines, but falls predictably silent when it comes to questioning infection rates and any related numbers in the Middle Turd-dom, Bear-dom or every other dumdum autocratic nation. However, comfort or righteous glee is in short supply when considering our own jolly 'democracy'; anecdotal evidence suggests we, er, cannot trust the evidence being presented by the authorities. So, I'm left asking whether any of it matters. A bit of a 2-for-1 deal with the infection, what?

In other news, the new workplace was a sojourn. The colleagues were nice, the ex-boss wasn't horrible (which is saying something considering the absolute bastards I've had to deal with in the previous agency) and the work was placid. In contrast, the management stank to high heaven. I also did not realise just how out of love I'd fallen with the industry till I heard the familiar litanies in the first week. They roved from "client isn't sure what they want" to "the brief isn't complete", sinking my heart rapidly. I was able to empathise with Mike's maelstrom of emotions at the Bank in Psmith in the City. And, just like young Jackson, when a non-advertising but nonetheless interesting alternative presented itself, I jumped ship. The qualms that appeared like thunderclouds dispersed rapidly when it was revealed that I wasn't a formal employee at said agency even after 2 weeks! Something about paperwork processing being delayed. It was the escape clause the HR needed to suggest (they never say anything outright, the clever clogs) I wouldn't receive the salary owed to me nor a relieving letter. But hey, no notice period either, so yay? After anticipating a significant chunk of doubloons arriving in my account at the end of the month, this was a bit of a dampener. Still, the new role is something to look forward to. There will be plenty of work but also much learning, which is important because as one reaches the cusp of 40, the danger of becoming irrelevant increases. Finding out a 52-yr-old ex-boss I respect immensely had been unceremoniously sacked by his agency made me more determined to try and avoid the same ignominious fate. Therefore I ought to make the best of this opportunity. There is pleasure in realising that the pressure is now completely different though. Earlier, creative ideas were the currency, but like cryptocoins or NFTs, the concept of creativity was a Rorschach pattern, always subject to the whims, fancies and political considerations of clients and bosses, making it as tiresome an exercise as trying to grip mercury. Yes, there's a frisson of joy in doing a hard job well. But like my ex-boss used to say, occasional wins are needed to invigorate you and make that essentially thankless exercise worthwhile. There was largely no fun in advertising for me, which is the heart of the matter. No one promised it'd be easy but it used to be fun. Take that away and what's left? Not I, for starters. 

For some time now, I've felt that the traditional advertising agency model in India is in danger of becoming redundant. With clients increasingly dictating every aspect and agencies lacking any spines, it's only a matter of time before companies hire individuals from the creative domain, cutting out the agency (and agency fees) and having the work executed by a bevy of eager freelancers. I may not be correct, for who can truly predict the future, but if I'm even halfway right, then isn't it better to be on the crest of the wave of ex-ad people being hired by companies? As a friend in foreign parts likes to say (rather conveniently), no one knows anything for sure.

Do I dare say that I'm happy about this professional development? Fool me once... and all that. In any case, now it's not so much about ideas that live as long as mayflies but resolute, research-backed writing about interesting products for a company in a rapidly growing and relevant industry. This could also be me stepping away from the convolutions of advertising forever. What the future holds is uncertain but I've realised that professionally speaking, there will be no hankering for the past.

Song for the moment: Don't let it bring you down - Neil Young

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Let them talk

There is a school of thought that would quite likely be scandalised by the idea of intellectual discussions being held in a pub / bar. Impropriety and what have you. Folks like us (you know who you are) would counter with the notion that our intellectual pursuits occur only in pubs. That's when the cranial creases are watered... doused actually, & whatever is left of our neurons are firing on all cylinders, ablaze thanks to the tipple of choice. Mind you, I'm not advocating that this is the best way. It's just our way. Or my way, if any reader resents the liberty I've taken of assuming anything. Not to keep tottering around the proverbial mulberry bush (why mulberry, I ask), the latest discussion touched on the dichotomy(?) of loving your work. That is, working the week for the sake of the cheque & engaging in your passion during the weekend OR striving to make your passion, your talent or a synonym of your choice the porker from which your bacon is carved. Ri

Many the miles

Some time ago, I decided to cut down on the whining that seems to be a major theme on this blog. After having written a couple of short story posts and one interesting challenge, I found that more commentary on life, its machinations and assorted tomfoolery just did not interest me. For the moment, at least. That also thankfully means that I can't talk about the Indian cricket team's test saga. Anyway, in recent weeks, a new trend has taken root in that fragment of the 'gang' that lives in Pune. Instead of meeting up and hitting the tipple every now and then, we meet and they discuss trekking to various forts in and around Pune. Notice how I'm not in these councils-of-war. Although I've played sports in school and college, I've never been a fan of physical toil. All these talks conjure up are images of waking up at some ungodly hour before sunrise, scooting to some random hill / fort and huffing, puffing, slipping & scrabbling around in near darkness w

The baying of the hounds

Dear reader, The past few months have been punctuated by sound and fury on account of the renovations around the house. The incessant noise, rubble and dust have often led to frayed tempers and the standard indignant inquiries about the point of this whole exercise. But there's a long way to go, so we must persevere... with gritted teeth. Speaking of dust, the Lenovo laptop running Manjaro OS has been quietly gathering sackfuls of the stuff. Unfortunately (but understandably), my Macbook has become the default instrument of distraction, with the Lenovo coming into play whenever I miss USB ports. All sarcasm aside, the Mac is convenient to use and the apps 'just' work. I've praised the Linux ecosystem for years on this blog, so there's no question of indicting them now. But hear me out. I use a VPN service. In this gilded age of freedom and tolerance, I think everyone should opt for a reliable, paid service. It does not have to matter that the things you do on the in