Skip to main content

Helpless Automaton

A friend of mine believes that homes have feelings and personalities. That her particular 12 X 12 feels abandoned when said friend leaves for work in the morning and that she's thinking about finding a roommate just to assuage the lathe and plaster's feelings. Quite.

Though I dismissed the idea at the time, rather scornfully I might add, I'm starting to reconsider. Now, I know what you're thinking. The whole work-from-home scenario is getting to this guy already and he's hitting the holy herb rather hard. Neither is true. I'm the consumate professional regardless of geography and live a clean and healthy life. Also, there isn't any herb around and the virus will probably affect the supply chain, so that's a bummer.

Yesterday, the kitchen sink started acting up. I've lived in this house for 8 years and it has always behaved beautifully. Until now. The water simply refused to drain. Even after enthusiastic use of the plunger, it just gurgled resentfully and settled down for the long haul. To quote my favourite Discworld character - I can't be having with that kind of thing. I dialled the plumber, social distancing be damned. The man shows up, runs a cold cod eye over the contraption, pulls the connecting pipe out from under the sink with a single twist and shows me the bottom of the pipe which is choked with a week's worth of coffee grounds some mysterious, dark sediment. That was cleaned up in less than a literal minute, for which I was charged Rs. 100. I confess, dear reader, that my stolid, thrify, middle-class upbringing pinched my heart for a beat but I shushed it and quietly paid up. I don't know much about plumbing and I'd rather have a working contraption than a clogged drain to tackle along with my regular job.

No sooner had Mario exited stage left than the electrical socket in the bedroom quietly gave up the ghost. Yep, you guessed it. It too had lived a blameless life so far. Just watt (pun intended) was going on? Did the house sense that I wasn't going anywhere (not figuratively speaking) and decide to air out its problems? Had these issues always existed, only to be ... er... flushed down the proverbial drain by a usually harried me? Was it all a giant conspiracy coincidence? I leave you to decide.

In the case of the socket, I do have some basic handyman skills, thanks to assisting the fatherland decades ago and generally observing what the electricians did whenever repairs around the house were called for. So, I opened up the board and was rewarded with a shower of assorted bits, pieces, springs and whathaveyou. Was I shocked? No, because I was using a tester, like a normal person. Anyway, it looked like something beyond my capabilities so I traipsed along to the electrician's shop, again, social distancing be damned. The bloke shows up with a new socket, connects all the wires in about 5 minutes and charges me Rs. 200. I paid up with nary a whimper.

What I did come to appreciate yesterday is the sore need for a bit of 'do it yourself' knowledge. Basic electrical, plumbing, cooking, wood-working and even auto maintenance (if my car ever stalls, heaven knows what I'd do). I can certainly afford the service of experts for all of these and it's really not about saving a shekel here and there. There's an weird satisfaction to doing something yourself. I've certainly experienced this spark of happiness when fixing stuff before but I've never got around to developing my knowledge further. Now, it looks like this house will nudge me along. Que sera sera.

Song for the moment: Keep an eye - Diana Ross

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Let them talk

There is a school of thought that would quite likely be scandalised by the idea of intellectual discussions being held in a pub / bar. Impropriety and what have you. Folks like us (you know who you are) would counter with the notion that our intellectual pursuits occur only in pubs. That's when the cranial creases are watered... doused actually, & whatever is left of our neurons are firing on all cylinders, ablaze thanks to the tipple of choice. Mind you, I'm not advocating that this is the best way. It's just our way. Or my way, if any reader resents the liberty I've taken of assuming anything. Not to keep tottering around the proverbial mulberry bush (why mulberry, I ask), the latest discussion touched on the dichotomy(?) of loving your work. That is, working the week for the sake of the cheque & engaging in your passion during the weekend OR striving to make your passion, your talent or a synonym of your choice the porker from which your bacon is carved. Ri

Many the miles

Some time ago, I decided to cut down on the whining that seems to be a major theme on this blog. After having written a couple of short story posts and one interesting challenge, I found that more commentary on life, its machinations and assorted tomfoolery just did not interest me. For the moment, at least. That also thankfully means that I can't talk about the Indian cricket team's test saga. Anyway, in recent weeks, a new trend has taken root in that fragment of the 'gang' that lives in Pune. Instead of meeting up and hitting the tipple every now and then, we meet and they discuss trekking to various forts in and around Pune. Notice how I'm not in these councils-of-war. Although I've played sports in school and college, I've never been a fan of physical toil. All these talks conjure up are images of waking up at some ungodly hour before sunrise, scooting to some random hill / fort and huffing, puffing, slipping & scrabbling around in near darkness w

The baying of the hounds

Dear reader, The past few months have been punctuated by sound and fury on account of the renovations around the house. The incessant noise, rubble and dust have often led to frayed tempers and the standard indignant inquiries about the point of this whole exercise. But there's a long way to go, so we must persevere... with gritted teeth. Speaking of dust, the Lenovo laptop running Manjaro OS has been quietly gathering sackfuls of the stuff. Unfortunately (but understandably), my Macbook has become the default instrument of distraction, with the Lenovo coming into play whenever I miss USB ports. All sarcasm aside, the Mac is convenient to use and the apps 'just' work. I've praised the Linux ecosystem for years on this blog, so there's no question of indicting them now. But hear me out. I use a VPN service. In this gilded age of freedom and tolerance, I think everyone should opt for a reliable, paid service. It does not have to matter that the things you do on the in