Skip to main content

Yesterday once more

It's been 5 days. Mercifully, the clock has inexorably ticked away the seconds, minutes, hours and days from Sunday night 9:00 pm to Friday morning 9:00 am. Tick, tick, tick... I'm counting with it, desperately hoping and furiously planning - to make this my last semester and my last 4 months in the most exciting city this side of Boredomville.

I'm back at work; new building, same job. While everyone from the faculty downward is going into raptures over their new premises, I don't like it. The old place was small, pooky, and cluttered and no self-respecting department in any university barring Afghanistan U would be caught dead hanging its sign outside it. But it's eccentricity suited me fine. It was also way closer to home, something I've started appreciating more now that I have to walk 20 mins. in -1 degree weather at 7:30 in the morning. Ahh... the delights of winter.

The best way to look busy at work, I've realized, is to peer closely at the computer screen, frown, nod every once in a while with tsk-tsks thrown in for good measure, mutter darkly under my breath and ofcourse, hope to hell that everyone is buying this play-acting. Can't have a blank screen involved (so far, nobody has exhibited that low an intellect) so, the next best thing is to read blogs. I've spent this week trawling through stuff even the authors may have forgotten. Stuff from March 2006, anecdotes from their first days in college, rants about their jobs, and litanies about life. I come across gems that make me smile (no mean feat, I kid you not), and others that get me sighing and concurring.

Sandwiched between the classes & the work is the thought of the next step. I'll graduate, have 2 obscure Master's degrees and no job in sight. I've found myself looking for inspiration, direction or any sort of crooked signpost that will tell me - this is what you are going to be doing. So far, I see a life of desperation, and it won't be quiet either. This piece I ran across titled 'lost and found' (scroll down and you'll spot it) seemed rather apt, but is not going to solve anything in the long run, methinks.

The point is - I know what I want. I know it will not involve a lot of money, and will definitely involve quite a bit of uncertainty. I'm okay with that. Or so I'm repeatedly telling myself. And pondering when I'm going to live my choices, rather than live with my choices.
If you know what I mean.

I need a mental lubricant to think things through. I'm thinking I should have had a lot of that punch from the night of the 31st, which was one of the better evenings I spent partying... with old friends and new ones, good booze, music and conversation. I'm wondering what cologne a certain someone (if he's reading this, he'll know) was wearing that made him a marked man as far as the ladies were concerned. Oh! well... it was a perfect evening.

Like I said, it's been 5 days. Tick, tick, tick....

Song for the moment: Golden Brown - The Stranglers

Comments

Ashish said…
They don't have an icon for a wry, wintry smile.

Popular posts from this blog

Night Boat

I usually don't write honest pieces. They're true to facts but I tend to lather my emotions and thoughts with a heavy dose of attempted humour or misdirection. This post deserves some raw emotional honesty, though.

Yesterday, 29th August, a Tuesday (or should I say, another Tuesday) was about me making choices. It was raining quite heavily when I left for office, sheeted down the windows of the train throughout the 1-hour journey to Churchgate and kept going with renewed intensity by the time I made it to the entrance, looking verily like something that had drowned in a gutter and lain there a while before being discovered by a cat and dragged in. I made the choice to go to work as I suspected my boss would be there and not because I wanted to go.

I was right about my boss but that cardiac fizz of being right flattened out rather rapidly once I realised, around 11:30 am, that no one else from my team of 20 had bothered to make a similar effort. And, some of these guys live 5 …

Last of my kind

(This post hasn't come out as well as I wanted. But I'm still pissed off, so.)

Why do we have heroes? What is it about someone that triggers a decision to nail our colours to their mast? I don't have a neat answer so what you read from here on is both an explanation and an exploration. In a post-modern world driven by counter-points, certainty is a luxury.

I missed the boat when it came to India's ODI cricket madness. We moved abroad in the late 80s. When I left, my friends and I wanted to be Kapil, Kris or Sunil. When I returned, god was getting comfortable on his heavenly couch and all was right with a world I did not recognise. I had missed Sachin's opening batsman debut against New Zealand, the hullabaloo of the Hero Cup and other notable moments. So, I was interested in cricket, not any particular sportsman. Not even during the '96 World Cup. When India muffed it against Sri Lanka, I hurt for the team, not for a player.

Then came Dravid. And, personally, …

Let her go

Have you noticed how we throw things out a lot more than before? Of course, city-dwellers like us have more, now that disposable incomes are the norm. Does it also allow us to dispose of things so easily? I was the object of much mirth/ridicule at work today because I wanted to get a golf umbrella repaired. One colleague wondered if it was worth the effort, another asked why I did not just buy a different one while others chuckled when they realised neither of these thoughts had occurred to me. I trudged off, wondering if they were right. What exactly was driving me to take the trouble?

I think back to to the 80s and living in my Thatha's (grandpa) house. Today's 'use-and-throw' culture would have shocked him to the core. The man was the epitome of prudence. Since we weren't exactly floating in doubloons, the family followed suit. Thatha wore the same watch for over 50 years. A small umbrella, bought by my mother with her first salary, was well on its way to becom…