Skip to main content

The times they are a-changin'

Rather than a very much expected doom-and-gloom piece tomorrow, I wanted to do this today. Today, when I can still attempt to think about these last 5 weeks with some sense of joy, with some sense of equanimity. Tomorrow, the supposed inner sense of equilibrium will not so much see-saw wildly as come crashing down definitely one one side - the side of me that will rail at all things. The day I have dreaded since the 9th of December 2007 will have arrived.

It'd be far too easy to glorify Pune and the life I have led during the past 5 weeks. It has taken a monumental amount of effort to not sing my usual paeans of praise for all things Puneri. But, I cannot let things spiral away to an extent where one starts to think living in this city, surrounded by friends and family is akin to living on Fantasy Island. So, here goes...

It would be superfluous to say that the city hasn't changed. That was inevitable. What I did not want to but was forced to accept were just a few ravages of time. For instance, since when did Pune adopt the 'mall city' title ? Everywhere one looks, there's a large glass building, with an equally huge signboard, in case one missed the jhatak colours splashed on the walls... welcome to the shopping mall, ladies and gents. We sell the same stuff that the next mall sells, at the same price or worse, at a higher price and we love the fact that you visit us. Really, we do. The slightly desperate tone in our voices cannot hide behind the thin veneer of our welcoming smiles. And it goes on. Road after road, building after building, each vying with the other to do what ? More power to the middle class, allowed, but who is the victim on the altar of city development ? The Pune spirit, that's who. And I am very well aware that the Pune spirit is still alive and kicking. But it has changed. That's the point.

Go to the quiet lanes of Apte road, the nooks of the Peth areas, the endless bylanes of Sindh and National Society... and the spirit I knew still echoes there. But even echoes fade...

This city, once famous for its citizenry's sarcasm during confrontations, has now degenerated to a constant state of passive-aggressiveness. I can feel it blanketing the city and it surprises me and saddens me. Where once people would hurl amusing insults at one another while the watching group guffawed in appreciation, people now have no qualms about belting each other in public. True story. It seems like everyone leaves their house hoping to get into any sort of conflict, thereby allowing them to proceed to beat each other's brains out. Or atleast threaten to, and hope for the best.

Tomorrow I leave, knowing what I know and accepting that further changes will be in place the next time I come home. The circle of people I meet the next time will most likely shrink further. What is adulthood about ? Moving away, losing cherished connections, getting buried under an ever-increasing load of responsibilities ? All I can do is hope... that tentative hellos are reciprocated, that the people I value sail the seas of life but not drift away. That Pune... well... I can only show a pair of upturned hands and shrug my shoulders.

Locked away in the deepest recesses is the dread that the city I love and the people I care about may become complete strangers. It's as simple as that.

Songs for the moment: Stay - Dave Matthews Band
The Unnamed Feeling - Metallica

Comments

bhumika said…
We often get attached to non-living things hoping that atleast they wouldn’t change. But unfortunately, with time even they boast of a new face – which no matter how beautiful makes you feel uncomfortable.

Have a safe journey. Good Luck!
thumbtwiddler said…
The times they are a changing. You now wear a clean white shirt and ask what colour pants 'go' with what colour shoes. Sigh!
on_trial said…
"This city, once famous for its citizenry's sarcasm during confrontations, has now degenerated to a constant state of passive-aggressiveness...seems like everyone leaves their house hoping to get into any sort of conflict, thereby allowing them to proceed to beat each other's brains out."

Sounds like Bombay's eating into Pune in more ways than one :)

Popular posts from this blog

Let them talk

There is a school of thought that would quite likely be scandalised by the idea of intellectual discussions being held in a pub / bar. Impropriety and what have you. Folks like us (you know who you are) would counter with the notion that our intellectual pursuits occur only in pubs. That's when the cranial creases are watered... doused actually, & whatever is left of our neurons are firing on all cylinders, ablaze thanks to the tipple of choice. Mind you, I'm not advocating that this is the best way. It's just our way. Or my way, if any reader resents the liberty I've taken of assuming anything. Not to keep tottering around the proverbial mulberry bush (why mulberry, I ask), the latest discussion touched on the dichotomy(?) of loving your work. That is, working the week for the sake of the cheque & engaging in your passion during the weekend OR striving to make your passion, your talent or a synonym of your choice the porker from which your bacon is carved. Ri

Many the miles

Some time ago, I decided to cut down on the whining that seems to be a major theme on this blog. After having written a couple of short story posts and one interesting challenge, I found that more commentary on life, its machinations and assorted tomfoolery just did not interest me. For the moment, at least. That also thankfully means that I can't talk about the Indian cricket team's test saga. Anyway, in recent weeks, a new trend has taken root in that fragment of the 'gang' that lives in Pune. Instead of meeting up and hitting the tipple every now and then, we meet and they discuss trekking to various forts in and around Pune. Notice how I'm not in these councils-of-war. Although I've played sports in school and college, I've never been a fan of physical toil. All these talks conjure up are images of waking up at some ungodly hour before sunrise, scooting to some random hill / fort and huffing, puffing, slipping & scrabbling around in near darkness w

The baying of the hounds

Dear reader, The past few months have been punctuated by sound and fury on account of the renovations around the house. The incessant noise, rubble and dust have often led to frayed tempers and the standard indignant inquiries about the point of this whole exercise. But there's a long way to go, so we must persevere... with gritted teeth. Speaking of dust, the Lenovo laptop running Manjaro OS has been quietly gathering sackfuls of the stuff. Unfortunately (but understandably), my Macbook has become the default instrument of distraction, with the Lenovo coming into play whenever I miss USB ports. All sarcasm aside, the Mac is convenient to use and the apps 'just' work. I've praised the Linux ecosystem for years on this blog, so there's no question of indicting them now. But hear me out. I use a VPN service. In this gilded age of freedom and tolerance, I think everyone should opt for a reliable, paid service. It does not have to matter that the things you do on the in