Skip to main content

Green, Green Rocky Road

Dear reader,

A new year calls for a new font. Sadly that's all the "it's time for change" hype I am willing to subscribe to. I have resolved to post here a little more in the hope that writing is like mining or panning for gold; there's a lot of shit to get through before hitting the good stuff.

I was at the gym this morning. The trainer's shirt said something along the lines of 'the most important part of working out is showing up'. The sentiment is true enough to be universally applicable. Whether it's lifting weights or being in a relationship, giving it your all is the most important move. I dislike exercise a lot but cannot afford to continue buying trousers to keep up with an expanding waistline. It's been two months and I have to grudgingly admit that the overall effect of showing up regularly and putting my body through the grind is positive. The negative is all that crap Punjabi music. Anyway, there's still some way to go before I hit my target weight & fitness levels. Besides, the whole belly fat stubbornness thing is true so it'll be a while before I can afford to take it easy. The only amusing difference between the gym and a relationship is that not showing up helps gain weight and lose the partner. There have been some tragic side effects of gym however; even a hint of fried and/or spicy food cues acidity, so I eat healthy and pretend to like it.

At work, there may be some upheaval afoot. A marketing team colleague who only joined last year has indicated that they're getting the lifeboat ready. Can't blame them really. In fact, their casting off is likely to set off a domino effect, moi included. I could use the break, the sabbatical and the space to do nothing for a while, potential recession be damned. But it must be some weird collective middle-class psyche thing which makes even the thought of a pause in the monthly salary a nervous proposition. The colleague and I share this fear. In my case, ageism and shrinking ability to monetize my skills are problems too. However, nothing has been decided yet, so watch this space.

Another interesting thought (yea, I had a lot of time on my hands over the new year weekend) was about how much work a real friendship is and the evolving nature of friendships in general; some progress for the better, others become perfunctory and a handful die quiet deaths. The older I get, the easier it is becoming to accept that this evolution is natural. Let's see what the next 363 days have in store.

Song for the moment: Peace Train - Cat Stevens

Comments

Anonymous said…
An idea I keep going back to in situations like fitness (and discipline and commitment in general) is "A thing worth doing, is worth doing poorly." It is somewhat counter-intuitive but it helps you chug along once you really understand it.

https://www.chesterton.org/a-thing-worth-doing/

This even applies to what you have said about relationships and the work they take. Putting in work at sustainably low standards (and with low expectations) is the only way to make anything work. Again, somewhat counter-intuitive but it tracks pretty well with my (admittedly, very limited) life experience.

Hope you keep writing and updating more often in 2023, and hope that helps you get everything you're looking to get out of it, personally!
G said…
Hi Anon. This may sound bizarre but I came across that quote only a few days ago. Freely admit that I'd subscribed to the counter-point, i.e. doing it well. But, right now is a chance to pause and reflect on many things, and I will try to live by the spirit of Chesterton's words for some time and see where it takes me. At least when it comes to gym, there's no danger of me turning into a fitness freak or muscle monster. But it will be intriguing to see how the philosophy affects my work relationships. Thank you for the comment & I hope you'll keep reading and sharing more inputs.

Wish you a good year & the opportunities to make the most of it.

Popular posts from this blog

Let them talk

There is a school of thought that would quite likely be scandalised by the idea of intellectual discussions being held in a pub / bar. Impropriety and what have you. Folks like us (you know who you are) would counter with the notion that our intellectual pursuits occur only in pubs. That's when the cranial creases are watered... doused actually, & whatever is left of our neurons are firing on all cylinders, ablaze thanks to the tipple of choice. Mind you, I'm not advocating that this is the best way. It's just our way. Or my way, if any reader resents the liberty I've taken of assuming anything. Not to keep tottering around the proverbial mulberry bush (why mulberry, I ask), the latest discussion touched on the dichotomy(?) of loving your work. That is, working the week for the sake of the cheque & engaging in your passion during the weekend OR striving to make your passion, your talent or a synonym of your choice the porker from which your bacon is carved. Ri

Many the miles

Some time ago, I decided to cut down on the whining that seems to be a major theme on this blog. After having written a couple of short story posts and one interesting challenge, I found that more commentary on life, its machinations and assorted tomfoolery just did not interest me. For the moment, at least. That also thankfully means that I can't talk about the Indian cricket team's test saga. Anyway, in recent weeks, a new trend has taken root in that fragment of the 'gang' that lives in Pune. Instead of meeting up and hitting the tipple every now and then, we meet and they discuss trekking to various forts in and around Pune. Notice how I'm not in these councils-of-war. Although I've played sports in school and college, I've never been a fan of physical toil. All these talks conjure up are images of waking up at some ungodly hour before sunrise, scooting to some random hill / fort and huffing, puffing, slipping & scrabbling around in near darkness w

The baying of the hounds

Dear reader, The past few months have been punctuated by sound and fury on account of the renovations around the house. The incessant noise, rubble and dust have often led to frayed tempers and the standard indignant inquiries about the point of this whole exercise. But there's a long way to go, so we must persevere... with gritted teeth. Speaking of dust, the Lenovo laptop running Manjaro OS has been quietly gathering sackfuls of the stuff. Unfortunately (but understandably), my Macbook has become the default instrument of distraction, with the Lenovo coming into play whenever I miss USB ports. All sarcasm aside, the Mac is convenient to use and the apps 'just' work. I've praised the Linux ecosystem for years on this blog, so there's no question of indicting them now. But hear me out. I use a VPN service. In this gilded age of freedom and tolerance, I think everyone should opt for a reliable, paid service. It does not have to matter that the things you do on the in