Skip to main content

Night by Night

Dear reader,

I do not have adequate words to explain the last two months. I wrote the previous post to commemorate Diwali, the festival of lights. Along came the universe to blow the lamps out, leaving life in twilight. If you think I'm being histrionic, don't read any further.

It's been a little over 60 days since my father died suddenly, likely a victim of Covid's long-term effects. Over 10 months his lungs deteriorated swiftly and silently, culminating in a 23-hour stay in the ICU, a phone call to me from the hospital at 3.23am, a 5-minute drive during which I prayed he was okay and the one infinite moment of seeing him in bed even as the doctor broke the news of a massive cardiac arrest. 

A sequence of numbers marking time; a diadem of black pearls weighing my head down since 3.30am on the morning of 29th October 2022.

My father was human and god knows he had his faults. But it was impossible to remain passive when facing the crowd at the cremation; a sea of humanity whose lives he'd touched and made better in myriad ways. From aged senior ex-colleagues to junior students he was teaching; relatives and friends who'd known my father in his youth to society residents who only knew the principled disciplinarian from committee meetings.

In the middle of this human maelstrom were two people unable to come to terms with the loss, the notion that he was gone forever, leaving us to be true adults for the first time. Some of you may scoff at this idea but if you have even one parent alive, then you are still a child to someone, with all the baggage that brings. The sibling and I are adrift in this world, our compasses now gone, a finality that is hard to believe, let alone accept.

When people ask how I am, I talk about living one day at a time. But I'm unsure if this is living or existing. My emotions have transformed from numbness to a desert-like barrenness. It was partially responsible for costing me a relationship and has stripped away meaning from my professional life. But, I don't think well-wishers want to hear all that. So, I take cover behind banal words and cliched catchphrases.

Still, to those who reached out, called and checked in on me - thank you.

Work is a saga in itself with the culture deteriorating steadily through the year, leaving me with questions about what I should be doing in 2023. Not this, my heart whispers. I should allow my brains to figure out the future, though its hard to be confident about a noggin that's turned into scrambled eggs for now. 

I thought, hoped and wished 2022 would be a great year for me. For a while it really seemed like it would be; a new work profile out of advertising and a new relationship. I thought the tide had finally turned. How could I have been so naive? 2022 turned out to be the mother of all reality checks. I just turned 40 but struggle to carry the fatigue of someone much older.

There's more to convey but as I said at the beginning, there are no adequate words.

Forgive me if I can't wish you a happy 2023. All I'll say is make of the days what you will. 

Song for the moment: Do it again - Steely Dan 

Comments

Anonymous said…
Really sorry to hear about your father. Hope you find all the strength you need to deal with your loss. But more importantly, hope you are able to look at the world and your situation in it in a way that allows you to move on at least somewhat generatively.

Dealing with the death of a parent (or aging parents in general) is something that we don’t have any real response to; not even by way of banal psychobabble like we have for other situations like death of a pet, a partner, a relationship, perhaps even a child. Even spiritualism etc. does a pretty lousy job at helping us properly process this part of the human experience and come out the other end with anything resembling a sense of hope.

That said, I do think that there’s something to be said about honestly framing your new, seemingly vast and empty reality in a way that doesn’t leave you totally debilitated, hopeless, and hollow going forward. I abhor even thinking of the term "silver lining" in this context, but there is a very microscopic yet important “upside” in knowing that there is absolutely nothing you have to fear in life now. Its like the universe has played its strongest card against you, and yet here you stand…damaged, destroyed, hopeless, but secure in the knowledge that it truly can’t get any worse. You're basically bullet proof now. I hope you are able to reframe your grief into a sense of liberation. Perhaps vacuous and a deeply unsatisfying liberation, but something that you’ll come to appreciate a bit more than you can right now, over time.

I hope that makes some sense, but I totally understand if it doesn't. Be well and keep at it, bud.
G said…
Thank you for reaching out, Anon. In a strange way, I agree with you about re-framing this grief as a sense of liberation. It will take some time; I think it will be an important part of how I/we process the grief of this sudden loss. On real death (not relationships), from personal experience, I know there are many shades of responses, each relevant in its own way. There are many factors (perhaps I will write a piece exploring this) that influence the nature of grief. At present, it's the suddenness of what happened. Once again, I appreciate your kind words and hope you'll keep reading and commenting.

Popular posts from this blog

Let them talk

There is a school of thought that would quite likely be scandalised by the idea of intellectual discussions being held in a pub / bar. Impropriety and what have you. Folks like us (you know who you are) would counter with the notion that our intellectual pursuits occur only in pubs. That's when the cranial creases are watered... doused actually, & whatever is left of our neurons are firing on all cylinders, ablaze thanks to the tipple of choice. Mind you, I'm not advocating that this is the best way. It's just our way. Or my way, if any reader resents the liberty I've taken of assuming anything. Not to keep tottering around the proverbial mulberry bush (why mulberry, I ask), the latest discussion touched on the dichotomy(?) of loving your work. That is, working the week for the sake of the cheque & engaging in your passion during the weekend OR striving to make your passion, your talent or a synonym of your choice the porker from which your bacon is carved. Ri

Many the miles

Some time ago, I decided to cut down on the whining that seems to be a major theme on this blog. After having written a couple of short story posts and one interesting challenge, I found that more commentary on life, its machinations and assorted tomfoolery just did not interest me. For the moment, at least. That also thankfully means that I can't talk about the Indian cricket team's test saga. Anyway, in recent weeks, a new trend has taken root in that fragment of the 'gang' that lives in Pune. Instead of meeting up and hitting the tipple every now and then, we meet and they discuss trekking to various forts in and around Pune. Notice how I'm not in these councils-of-war. Although I've played sports in school and college, I've never been a fan of physical toil. All these talks conjure up are images of waking up at some ungodly hour before sunrise, scooting to some random hill / fort and huffing, puffing, slipping & scrabbling around in near darkness w

The baying of the hounds

Dear reader, The past few months have been punctuated by sound and fury on account of the renovations around the house. The incessant noise, rubble and dust have often led to frayed tempers and the standard indignant inquiries about the point of this whole exercise. But there's a long way to go, so we must persevere... with gritted teeth. Speaking of dust, the Lenovo laptop running Manjaro OS has been quietly gathering sackfuls of the stuff. Unfortunately (but understandably), my Macbook has become the default instrument of distraction, with the Lenovo coming into play whenever I miss USB ports. All sarcasm aside, the Mac is convenient to use and the apps 'just' work. I've praised the Linux ecosystem for years on this blog, so there's no question of indicting them now. But hear me out. I use a VPN service. In this gilded age of freedom and tolerance, I think everyone should opt for a reliable, paid service. It does not have to matter that the things you do on the in