Skip to main content

Reflections

Exactly a year ago today, I entered my office and found harried security guards handing out sanitiser and taking everyone's temperatures. Later that day, we were asked to pack up our stuff and work from home. Having arrived from Pune just that morning, my back was sore enough for a natural disinclination to return there immediately which, in hindsight, wasn't the smartest move. What happened on the following Saturday is covered here. So, what's a year of working from home been like?

Different. Chunks of the day lived in a daze, efforts plateauing and feelings riding a pendulum from rage to surrender. At home, work having a compartmentalised existence is a luxury. It's like that old Smirnoff Ad line - Life is happening. Where are you? At my desk, flagellating myself for shekels of course. People walk in during meeting calls, errands that could wait till weekends now demand urgent action on weekdays, one is more aware of our elders ageing, and all too often, the question arises - What's the point of all this?

It's not all bad. As I mentioned to the HR last year, I don't like long commutes, crowded trains and the semi-permanent humidity that leaves one sweating after a 2 minute walk, so I don't miss all those things about Bombay. Back home, I am fortunate to have a space of my own. Maybe one thing I miss is the absolute freedom of being the king of my own rented castle. It's a completely different experience to know that I could have muesli (or samosa pav) for dinner and no one would know or care. However, I did have one grouse. Due to logistical constraints, my desk faced a wall, which left me with nothing to look at when I wasn't staring into the laptop. The layout at the office was just as shitty. Daydreaming is invaluable but it's hard to do when faced with a wall painted Amul butter yellow (don't ask). Being reluctant to move things around because going back to my own place always seemed around the corner, I kind of suffered in acceptance for almost a year. However, in a sudden frenzy of activity, we got some urgently needed masonry and carpentry work done this weekend, after which I bit the bullet and finally moved things around to suit me.

People talk about how this pandemic has brought pause to their life. In my case, it seems to have hit the rewind button. The desk I've had since school now faces a window again, looking out over the Parijat Tree (night-blooming jasmine) and beyond it, a scrub-filled yard. The only view is of blue sky and green leaves. Birds chirp constantly; delicate little sun-birds of various hues, a sparrow or two, yellow butterflies and a cat lazily sauntering on top of the boundary wall is what passes for traffic. Ever so gently, a mid-afternoon catspaw makes the leaves tremble. There's a serenity in this outside scene that's missing from life on the inside. It's an escape from the harried here & now into... a more languid, meditative, still here & now, if that makes any sense. 

The desk, the view and the setup of this room evokes a sense of deja vu. Replace bearded me with a clean shaven version and hey presto, it's 2001 and my 20s are ahead of me. In fact, I still play cricket with my college friend, only now the body tells me to take it easy.

Of course, this is a mirage because it's not the same room. Books are no longer the reason for my bleary eyes in the morning. I have traded in the blessed mystery of a land-line for the brutal certainty of a cellphone. A squat desktop on which I'd spend hours having fun playing games or IM chatting for a sleek laptop on which fun is banished and chats are extinct. Not doing my 'homework' has consequences. My changing interests are often solitary pursuits, beyond discussion or understanding for friends. Too much water has passed under the bridge but some days it seems like I have been rooted to the span rather than navigating the river and moving on with life. Eventually, I will have to pack up and return to Bombay. Still, I have this view. For now.

Song for the moment: My place - Diana Ross

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Let them talk

There is a school of thought that would quite likely be scandalised by the idea of intellectual discussions being held in a pub / bar. Impropriety and what have you. Folks like us (you know who you are) would counter with the notion that our intellectual pursuits occur only in pubs. That's when the cranial creases are watered... doused actually, & whatever is left of our neurons are firing on all cylinders, ablaze thanks to the tipple of choice. Mind you, I'm not advocating that this is the best way. It's just our way. Or my way, if any reader resents the liberty I've taken of assuming anything. Not to keep tottering around the proverbial mulberry bush (why mulberry, I ask), the latest discussion touched on the dichotomy(?) of loving your work. That is, working the week for the sake of the cheque & engaging in your passion during the weekend OR striving to make your passion, your talent or a synonym of your choice the porker from which your bacon is carved. Ri

Many the miles

Some time ago, I decided to cut down on the whining that seems to be a major theme on this blog. After having written a couple of short story posts and one interesting challenge, I found that more commentary on life, its machinations and assorted tomfoolery just did not interest me. For the moment, at least. That also thankfully means that I can't talk about the Indian cricket team's test saga. Anyway, in recent weeks, a new trend has taken root in that fragment of the 'gang' that lives in Pune. Instead of meeting up and hitting the tipple every now and then, we meet and they discuss trekking to various forts in and around Pune. Notice how I'm not in these councils-of-war. Although I've played sports in school and college, I've never been a fan of physical toil. All these talks conjure up are images of waking up at some ungodly hour before sunrise, scooting to some random hill / fort and huffing, puffing, slipping & scrabbling around in near darkness w

The baying of the hounds

Dear reader, The past few months have been punctuated by sound and fury on account of the renovations around the house. The incessant noise, rubble and dust have often led to frayed tempers and the standard indignant inquiries about the point of this whole exercise. But there's a long way to go, so we must persevere... with gritted teeth. Speaking of dust, the Lenovo laptop running Manjaro OS has been quietly gathering sackfuls of the stuff. Unfortunately (but understandably), my Macbook has become the default instrument of distraction, with the Lenovo coming into play whenever I miss USB ports. All sarcasm aside, the Mac is convenient to use and the apps 'just' work. I've praised the Linux ecosystem for years on this blog, so there's no question of indicting them now. But hear me out. I use a VPN service. In this gilded age of freedom and tolerance, I think everyone should opt for a reliable, paid service. It does not have to matter that the things you do on the in