Skip to main content

Wind in lonely fences

Some years ago, some friends and I were discussing helmets. At the time, they were on the "don't like wearing a helmet because it's uncomfortable" side. Though I acknowledged their sartorial point, I was and am very much on the other side and when asked why, had a simple answer - I may be a safe and steady bike rider but have no way of knowing if anyone else is. So, I used the helmet to protect myself from others' mistakes.

A peculiar aspect of the human condition is to itch to do the exact opposite of a suggestion. So, when the authorities made helmets compulsory, there was a predictable hue and cry. Excuses were given about the expense, the cumbersomeness, the lack of need and practically anything else under the sun. The authorities have not bothered to enforce the helmet law strictly so it's common to see many a rider sans protective gear.

Why am I prattling on about this?

Substitute masks for helmets and we have arrived.

Tomorrow is the 8th of June, 2020. The day India is supposed to open up after almost 3 months of lock-down, curfew, confusion, frustration, job losses, life losses and so on and so forth. Today, the country is registering an average of almost 10000 new cases per day. Bombay is in serious trouble, Delhi isn't far behind while Ahmadabad is the elephant in the room; more deaths per million than any other city but more silence about this fact because it's in the dear leader's home state and there are some things that just can't get spoken about. Actually, right now there are a lot of things we are silent about, but hey... you want to be officially harassed because you believe in justice, liberty or basic human decency? An awful lot of people who do are currently in jail, so I think not. Oh and those poor sods trying to get to their villages will probably be carrying the virus along, so rural India may be in for an almighty health crisis.

We still know fuck-all about this virus. All media talk about vaccines is slowly petering away because the reality is that it may be years before one appears. Maybe never. Right now, the only two things we can be sure of is that washing hands with soap helps protect us and wearing masks gives us something of a chance to not contract it from others. But we still won't wear the damn things, no? I stepped out for groceries today and saw enough faces for my soul to sink all the way to my soles. I don't even want to think about whether people are washing hands regularly.

Looks like it's going to be a long year, folks.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Let them talk

There is a school of thought that would quite likely be scandalised by the idea of intellectual discussions being held in a pub / bar. Impropriety and what have you. Folks like us (you know who you are) would counter with the notion that our intellectual pursuits occur only in pubs. That's when the cranial creases are watered... doused actually, & whatever is left of our neurons are firing on all cylinders, ablaze thanks to the tipple of choice. Mind you, I'm not advocating that this is the best way. It's just our way. Or my way, if any reader resents the liberty I've taken of assuming anything. Not to keep tottering around the proverbial mulberry bush (why mulberry, I ask), the latest discussion touched on the dichotomy(?) of loving your work. That is, working the week for the sake of the cheque & engaging in your passion during the weekend OR striving to make your passion, your talent or a synonym of your choice the porker from which your bacon is carved. Ri

Many the miles

Some time ago, I decided to cut down on the whining that seems to be a major theme on this blog. After having written a couple of short story posts and one interesting challenge, I found that more commentary on life, its machinations and assorted tomfoolery just did not interest me. For the moment, at least. That also thankfully means that I can't talk about the Indian cricket team's test saga. Anyway, in recent weeks, a new trend has taken root in that fragment of the 'gang' that lives in Pune. Instead of meeting up and hitting the tipple every now and then, we meet and they discuss trekking to various forts in and around Pune. Notice how I'm not in these councils-of-war. Although I've played sports in school and college, I've never been a fan of physical toil. All these talks conjure up are images of waking up at some ungodly hour before sunrise, scooting to some random hill / fort and huffing, puffing, slipping & scrabbling around in near darkness w

The baying of the hounds

Dear reader, The past few months have been punctuated by sound and fury on account of the renovations around the house. The incessant noise, rubble and dust have often led to frayed tempers and the standard indignant inquiries about the point of this whole exercise. But there's a long way to go, so we must persevere... with gritted teeth. Speaking of dust, the Lenovo laptop running Manjaro OS has been quietly gathering sackfuls of the stuff. Unfortunately (but understandably), my Macbook has become the default instrument of distraction, with the Lenovo coming into play whenever I miss USB ports. All sarcasm aside, the Mac is convenient to use and the apps 'just' work. I've praised the Linux ecosystem for years on this blog, so there's no question of indicting them now. But hear me out. I use a VPN service. In this gilded age of freedom and tolerance, I think everyone should opt for a reliable, paid service. It does not have to matter that the things you do on the in