Skip to main content

Ripples

This morning, a bleary-eyed me staggered into the drawing room and found the father watching a Hindi movie called Pyaar Kiya Jaaye Pyaar Kiye Ja on the Zee Classic channel. For a second, I was nonplussed as the scenes and acting thrummed with a familiarity I could not put a finger on. Then, it came to me.

In the late 1980s, I bid farewell to my childhood friends as our family upped sticks and moved to Abu Dhabi in the U.A.E. What a sensory overload the whole experience was, even before we left the country. For one, the flight was delayed by more than 8 hours, so my dad decided we'd rent a hotel room rather than risk Bombay traffic again. As far as I can remember, we'd never stayed in a hotel before so the simplest of things like Room Service took on the kind of childishly, charming sense of wonder that I'd give anything to tap into now. I don't recall anything of the room's layout or the view. Just the service and what I ate - Salt & Pepper bread sandwiches. Never having even imagined this combination in my wildest dreams, the palate went crazy. 30 years later, recalling this intense memory sliver of taste, I can't help but wonder just how tight our finances were (after considerable other expenses, mind) that only those sandwiches remained within our budget. I've tried to recreate this flavour a few times since but have always fallen short in some subtle way - the taste of that white bread, the pepper to salt ratio, the graininess of salt... it remains a weird milestone; the food at Hotel Samraj.

As you can imagine, my memories of TV shows from then are quite fuzzy. We're talking about some real pre-political correctness days because there are only two cartoon shows I can recall playing on Abu Dhabi TV. One was, I kid you not, Fat Albert, a show that has less than a snowball's chance in hell of making it past the idea conception stage today. The other was the wonderful Captain Majid, completely in Arabic, which I did not understand, leading me to simply make up dialogues. I still catch myself humming the whole theme song every now and then. The dramatic yet quirky style of football in that cartoon influenced me so much that school friends were thoroughly confused at my style of playing the game. Years later that I discovered that it was a Japanese show called Captain Tsubasa, dubbed into Arabic! Once we moved to Dubai, Channel 33 entered our lives, along with legendary shows like Street Hawk (great theme song), The Flash, The Crystal Maze, Blockbusters and Remington Steele (great theme song). 

Back in Abu Dhabi, the bulk of TV watching would take place thanks to video cassettes. Whether it was movies or cartoons (Asterix, Rambo, TMNT, Thunder Cats, The Hulk, Care Bears), they would have to be rented from one of the plethora of VC Libraries around Al Nasr Street or recorded patiently from cassettes lent by friends. Being completely fluent in Tamil and reasonably so in Malayalam, it wasn't unusual for us to watch all kinds of movies in either of these languages. And, one of the earliest movies I enjoyed was Kadhalikka Neramillai. A thoroughly delightful, light-hearted rom-com, I must have seen it a dozen times over the course of our life in the Gulf. The song "Vishwanathan, Velai Vendum" was so jazzy, snazzy and groove-worthy, I instantly fell in love with it. It was a world apart from the Indian tunes I was used to. One of my favourite scenes of all time is a legendary exchange between Nagesh and Balaiah. What hilarity, what tension, what narration and what acting! Tchah!

At present, I have a plethora of entertainment options available at the touch of a button and spend most of my time scrolling through titles before picking up a book (my reading habit is a result of having few other avenues of entertainment back then). In the late 1980s, I was forced to make do. A friend and I spent almost every afternoon of one entire summer vacation watching Vishwathma on video cassette at his place. Seriously, we never tired of it. Watching scenes from Pyaar Kiya Jaaye today caused a dam-breach, leading to a flood of snapshots of life in the U.A.E. as well as this post.

Fun fact - 'Pyaar Kiya Jaaye' 'Pyaar Kiye Ja' means 'Keep on (or Carry on) Loving'. But the meaning of the original Tamil title means 'No time for love'. It seems a more prescient translation in the world of today where we seem to have all the time in the world... but none for love.

Song for the moment: Enna Parvai - Kadhalikka Neramillai

P.S: P K J is a remake of K N

P.P.S: Hat tip to the Anonymous commenter who caught the error in the Hindi film title. It has been changed. 

Comments

Anonymous said…
Isn't the name of the Hindi movie "Pyaar Kiye Jaa" though? As in, "Carry On Loving"? Might be a minor detail but I always thought it was a our version of a Carry On since the comedy of errors type of humor also loosely translated somewhat.
G said…
@Anonymous - My brain cells are abandoning ship faster than I thought. Thank you for spotting it. Since the original Tamil movie came out in 1964, you also be right about the source of inspiration, which seems to have a 6-year head start.

Popular posts from this blog

Let them talk

There is a school of thought that would quite likely be scandalised by the idea of intellectual discussions being held in a pub / bar. Impropriety and what have you. Folks like us (you know who you are) would counter with the notion that our intellectual pursuits occur only in pubs. That's when the cranial creases are watered... doused actually, & whatever is left of our neurons are firing on all cylinders, ablaze thanks to the tipple of choice. Mind you, I'm not advocating that this is the best way. It's just our way. Or my way, if any reader resents the liberty I've taken of assuming anything. Not to keep tottering around the proverbial mulberry bush (why mulberry, I ask), the latest discussion touched on the dichotomy(?) of loving your work. That is, working the week for the sake of the cheque & engaging in your passion during the weekend OR striving to make your passion, your talent or a synonym of your choice the porker from which your bacon is carved. Ri

Many the miles

Some time ago, I decided to cut down on the whining that seems to be a major theme on this blog. After having written a couple of short story posts and one interesting challenge, I found that more commentary on life, its machinations and assorted tomfoolery just did not interest me. For the moment, at least. That also thankfully means that I can't talk about the Indian cricket team's test saga. Anyway, in recent weeks, a new trend has taken root in that fragment of the 'gang' that lives in Pune. Instead of meeting up and hitting the tipple every now and then, we meet and they discuss trekking to various forts in and around Pune. Notice how I'm not in these councils-of-war. Although I've played sports in school and college, I've never been a fan of physical toil. All these talks conjure up are images of waking up at some ungodly hour before sunrise, scooting to some random hill / fort and huffing, puffing, slipping & scrabbling around in near darkness w

The baying of the hounds

Dear reader, The past few months have been punctuated by sound and fury on account of the renovations around the house. The incessant noise, rubble and dust have often led to frayed tempers and the standard indignant inquiries about the point of this whole exercise. But there's a long way to go, so we must persevere... with gritted teeth. Speaking of dust, the Lenovo laptop running Manjaro OS has been quietly gathering sackfuls of the stuff. Unfortunately (but understandably), my Macbook has become the default instrument of distraction, with the Lenovo coming into play whenever I miss USB ports. All sarcasm aside, the Mac is convenient to use and the apps 'just' work. I've praised the Linux ecosystem for years on this blog, so there's no question of indicting them now. But hear me out. I use a VPN service. In this gilded age of freedom and tolerance, I think everyone should opt for a reliable, paid service. It does not have to matter that the things you do on the in