Skip to main content

Day Tripper

There are moments in life when you realize that you are totally out of your depth. That moment hit me just before lunch yesterday as the speaker droned on & on about random whatnots. I was just thankful no one paid any attention to the less than attentive expression on my face.

To be invited to a 3-day conference is not exactly the pinnacle of my achievements, but this one had about as much chance of seeing me in a professional avatar as the last cold one in the fridge on a summer evening. Or any evening, come to that. What sealed the programme's fate was that it was being held in Pune. To make matters worse, the venue was the National Insurance Academy in Balewadi. To be paid to go to Pune is akin to... err, dude I'm being 'paid' to go to 'Pune'. Enough said. Much joy. But, to be spending the day at the NIA is even less encouraging to the get-project-done stakes. A verdant campus even at the worst of times and February is not the worst of times. The trees provide a generous shade, the fragrance of flowers gently tells everyone to stop and smell something appropriate and the geese honking in the distance as they waddle toward the canal gives a ridiculously pleasant feel to the place. The balmy air does not help matters, constantly suggesting that one's time could be better spent resting with a book & beer under one of the aformentioned members of the flora. Or, playing cricket or somesuch sport for those inclined.

Of course, all of these thoughts were only passing in front of my eyes as I dully contemplated the chap pontificating along in a less than jolly fashion. There were some moments when my consciousness broke thru to the surface and I doodled on the pad in a laboured way. But these occasions were far and few and stopped completely once well... okay, you are going to question my sanity here but... once a dish of poha began to seductively dance right in front of me. The simple steel bowl winked at me in the dappled sunlight as the rich yellowness of the flakes was cheerfully complemented by a glinting wedge of lemon. A faint yet definite waft of fried peanuts was present. The diced onion, sev & green chillies only served to accentuate the whiteness of the coconut shavings and the whole dish steamed with a quiet nobility that people can only strive to achieve.

Like I said, I was out of my depth at the conference. But hey, I was at the NIA in Pune and the reverie was worth it.

Song for the moment: Under the boardwalk - The Drifters

Comments

bhumika said…
Haven't come across a description of food this tempting in a very long time. Feel like having some poha right away, but will have to do with chai :)
Ketan said…
So Girish ... (probably unintentionally but ...) ... now its "thru" instead of "through" huh? ...:-p ..if you've typed it so then Oxford have to be notified... they have a word to add to the next edition ...
Sorry...beautifully written expecially the "pohe" bit ... (I always notice the darkness of the clouds than the silver lining...) lol ...
Anonymous said…
@ bhumika - heh... I never got a dish of poha myself.

@ ketan - bastard, I was feeling a little lazy when I wrote it, but your observation has suitably chastised me :).

Popular posts from this blog

Let them talk

There is a school of thought that would quite likely be scandalised by the idea of intellectual discussions being held in a pub / bar. Impropriety and what have you. Folks like us (you know who you are) would counter with the notion that our intellectual pursuits occur only in pubs. That's when the cranial creases are watered... doused actually, & whatever is left of our neurons are firing on all cylinders, ablaze thanks to the tipple of choice. Mind you, I'm not advocating that this is the best way. It's just our way. Or my way, if any reader resents the liberty I've taken of assuming anything. Not to keep tottering around the proverbial mulberry bush (why mulberry, I ask), the latest discussion touched on the dichotomy(?) of loving your work. That is, working the week for the sake of the cheque & engaging in your passion during the weekend OR striving to make your passion, your talent or a synonym of your choice the porker from which your bacon is carved. Ri

Many the miles

Some time ago, I decided to cut down on the whining that seems to be a major theme on this blog. After having written a couple of short story posts and one interesting challenge, I found that more commentary on life, its machinations and assorted tomfoolery just did not interest me. For the moment, at least. That also thankfully means that I can't talk about the Indian cricket team's test saga. Anyway, in recent weeks, a new trend has taken root in that fragment of the 'gang' that lives in Pune. Instead of meeting up and hitting the tipple every now and then, we meet and they discuss trekking to various forts in and around Pune. Notice how I'm not in these councils-of-war. Although I've played sports in school and college, I've never been a fan of physical toil. All these talks conjure up are images of waking up at some ungodly hour before sunrise, scooting to some random hill / fort and huffing, puffing, slipping & scrabbling around in near darkness w

The baying of the hounds

Dear reader, The past few months have been punctuated by sound and fury on account of the renovations around the house. The incessant noise, rubble and dust have often led to frayed tempers and the standard indignant inquiries about the point of this whole exercise. But there's a long way to go, so we must persevere... with gritted teeth. Speaking of dust, the Lenovo laptop running Manjaro OS has been quietly gathering sackfuls of the stuff. Unfortunately (but understandably), my Macbook has become the default instrument of distraction, with the Lenovo coming into play whenever I miss USB ports. All sarcasm aside, the Mac is convenient to use and the apps 'just' work. I've praised the Linux ecosystem for years on this blog, so there's no question of indicting them now. But hear me out. I use a VPN service. In this gilded age of freedom and tolerance, I think everyone should opt for a reliable, paid service. It does not have to matter that the things you do on the in