Skip to main content

Its the time of the season...

On-campus, I work at the dept. of Communication Studies, where on most days, there isn't too much to do besides answering phones and delivering letters elsewhere at UAB. However, this soporific state of affairs has, in recent weeks, ground to a halt. Figuratively speaking. The dept. is shifting offices to a new building, which has the faculty alternately whooping with joy and weeping in despair. Their ambivalence is due to the fact that the new offices are incomparably better than the current ones but none of them want to face the trouble of packing and moving their paraphernalia. So.

Enter the office boy. Who, if any of you have read previous posts, is me.

I'd like to meet the individual who thought that it'd be a great honour for me to do the packing for the entire faculty, barring a few kind souls who'd rather assert their independence and do it themselves (bless them). And, as is usual in situations I'm involved in, they discovered that I'm some sort of idiot-savant at packing stuff. I wish whoever is distributing talent at the assembly line would be a little more discriminating. I can just see my curriculum vitae now -
Education: 2 Masters degrees
Work experience - Locum
Job Skills - Remarkable box-packer, object no object.

Sigh....

Anyway, all this packing and moving has got me thinking about my own pack and move, for I head home soon for a month's holiday. Home being Pune. The thought of which has me daydreaming, nodding & grinning hideously at completely inappropriate moments. But, truth be told, there's quite a bit of ambivalence here too. How much has it changed ? Will the familiar, comforting landmarks still be around ? How many faces will I recognise ?

When we leave, the city streets and neighbourhoods that we grew up, lived, laughed & cried in leave with us. We desperately take that last mental snapshot, wanting to somehow hold on to the experiences and memories that shaped us. And just like any photograph, it begins to fade, while the real city impassively goes on. Leaving us holding on to the past. To an ideal.

Going back for the first time.... to reintroductions.

Song for the moment: Tryin' to get to heaven before they close the door - Bob Dylan

Comments

Unknown said…
Well written, as usual - and been a long time coming! But dude, Pune HAS changed - although that, I would suppose, is inevitable.
But the beer tastes as good as it ever did - and there'll be a couple of mugs waiting for us.
:) - cheers, mate.
bhumika said…
Ah, now I know why you weren't updating your blog :P good to know that u'll be home in a month's time...time for you to pack your stuff now :)

Popular posts from this blog

Let them talk

There is a school of thought that would quite likely be scandalised by the idea of intellectual discussions being held in a pub / bar. Impropriety and what have you. Folks like us (you know who you are) would counter with the notion that our intellectual pursuits occur only in pubs. That's when the cranial creases are watered... doused actually, & whatever is left of our neurons are firing on all cylinders, ablaze thanks to the tipple of choice. Mind you, I'm not advocating that this is the best way. It's just our way. Or my way, if any reader resents the liberty I've taken of assuming anything. Not to keep tottering around the proverbial mulberry bush (why mulberry, I ask), the latest discussion touched on the dichotomy(?) of loving your work. That is, working the week for the sake of the cheque & engaging in your passion during the weekend OR striving to make your passion, your talent or a synonym of your choice the porker from which your bacon is carved. Ri

Many the miles

Some time ago, I decided to cut down on the whining that seems to be a major theme on this blog. After having written a couple of short story posts and one interesting challenge, I found that more commentary on life, its machinations and assorted tomfoolery just did not interest me. For the moment, at least. That also thankfully means that I can't talk about the Indian cricket team's test saga. Anyway, in recent weeks, a new trend has taken root in that fragment of the 'gang' that lives in Pune. Instead of meeting up and hitting the tipple every now and then, we meet and they discuss trekking to various forts in and around Pune. Notice how I'm not in these councils-of-war. Although I've played sports in school and college, I've never been a fan of physical toil. All these talks conjure up are images of waking up at some ungodly hour before sunrise, scooting to some random hill / fort and huffing, puffing, slipping & scrabbling around in near darkness w

The baying of the hounds

Dear reader, The past few months have been punctuated by sound and fury on account of the renovations around the house. The incessant noise, rubble and dust have often led to frayed tempers and the standard indignant inquiries about the point of this whole exercise. But there's a long way to go, so we must persevere... with gritted teeth. Speaking of dust, the Lenovo laptop running Manjaro OS has been quietly gathering sackfuls of the stuff. Unfortunately (but understandably), my Macbook has become the default instrument of distraction, with the Lenovo coming into play whenever I miss USB ports. All sarcasm aside, the Mac is convenient to use and the apps 'just' work. I've praised the Linux ecosystem for years on this blog, so there's no question of indicting them now. But hear me out. I use a VPN service. In this gilded age of freedom and tolerance, I think everyone should opt for a reliable, paid service. It does not have to matter that the things you do on the in